Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Catch flame and go wild, world!

            In attempt to think about anything BUT the fact that I only have a month and a half left here, I’ll go back where it all started (but in a way I am just now realizing) and the things that had to happen before Guatemala ever became an opportunity.
            2 Timothy is a letter from Paul that begins with him recognizing that he is an apostle according to the will of God- not man. He had a role to play in God’s plan- to be a unique ambassador for God to the world.
           Before you read another sentence, KNOW that YOU TOO have a role to play in God’s plan, according to God’s will, not your teacher’s, not your boss’, not your parents, not your pastor’s, not your friend’s, your boyfriend’s, your husband’s, only God’s will, God’s plan. Whatever that plan is, God wants you to walk confidently and boldly in that plan. I will tell you now, that plan is bigger than you know. I like to think of it as a fire, a good one, that never goes out, that cannot be tamed, that started the day you asked Jesus into your heart.
           Paul begins reminding Timothy that having a spirit of boldness is important, it matters. Timothy was talented but a bit timid in playing his role for the Lord. Paul says in 2 Tim. 1:16, “For this reason, I am reminding you to fan into flames the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands.” Fan the flame, stir it up, keep ablaze, chase, and be bold with God’s gift in you. A fire left alone is a fire that dies.
           Believe it or not, I have been a Timothy a time or twelve in my life, especially when it comes to recognizing and stirring up my gifts. But it takes a Paul in your life to make you jump out in boldness for a God who is SO worth it. It takes a Paul to build another Paul. It takes a spark to start a fire. It takes a fanner to keep that fire going. Sadly let’s think of a physical fire in a forest for a second. Once one tree catches fire, the one next to it catches, and the next one catches and the next think we know, Fox5 news is talking about the largest forest fire in history. Joyfully, let’s think about a spiritual fire. When one person catches flame, their friend is likely too as well. And Verse 7 just fires me up (so punny), “For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love, and a sound mind.”
            I want to report a fire. A spiritual one. A fire that started with a spark in someone else years ago that I do not even know, caught flame in a sweet friend of mine, traveled to me, and has been fanned with a lot of time in the Word, encouragers, questions, people like Paul, believers, the hardest days of my life, the best days of my life, challenges and even fanned with those who thought I was absolutely crazy. My Paul is Mrs. Tanszy Bailey. She means so much more to me than the 187389537 happy meals that she bought for me in pre-school (that I am still trying to work off at 23). I am sure that Tanszy was once a Timothy, it took a Paul in her life to encourage boldness to come to Guatemala for the first time. I am sure that Paul in her life was once a Timothy and on and on and on. Do you get it? It started with one person recognizing and fanning into flames God’s gifts in them. Their flames caught fire in someone else, which caught fire in someone else, which caught fire in someone else, and somewhere caught fire in Mrs. Tanszy. She found her God-given gift of creativity called 3 Tenango Trading which provides homes, food and opportunities to the people of Guatemala by purchasing good in the market here to sell in the States, bringing all the money back. That fire stirred up into what is now a wild-fire, burning in my heart, burning in hearts of the people she has brought on mission trips here for 10 years, burning in my dear friend and her son’s heart (Tanner), burning in our sweet friend, Chelsey’s heart and so many others. Tanner’s fire has fanned into a project the Lord lead him into using his gift of farming and knowledge of agriculture called Bare Hands. Bear Fruit. with the goal of spreading the Lord’s love through planting fruit trees and vegetable plants for individual families in Guatemala. Tanner's project has planted over 600 trees with the help of his first team from Kentucky who has been here all week. Somewhere between Georgia and Kentucky, someone started this fire. When Chelsey caught on fire, the Lord revealed a gift of photography and being behind the scenes. She got to Guatemala, and fanned her flame by taking pictures for Pur[SHOE]ing Boy, Bare Hands. Bear Fruit., orphanages, Campos de Suenos, and WAY too many to list. The girls talent is on FIRE. I have no doubt that her gift is going to catch flame in someone else through her photography (unless I reverse the camera roles).
That uncontainable fire in me through Tanszy has truly 
changed the course of my life, with continuing my burning desire of completing nursing school and started a fire called Pur[SHOE]ing Joy. Those things in me took a lot of Paul’s in my life to encourage boldness to get me where I am now with a spirit to encourage boldness as Paul did began in me. I confidently believe that after 7,000 pair of shoes donated, I think a few flames were spread there. I would be here all day telling you stories of how those shoes are changing lives spiritually and physically here in Guatemala. (Quick story that I cannot hold in: we had a little boy from the first Sole Train that we did not have on our master list of kids that needed shoes. We made quite a few exceptions but this particular one, I will never forget. He got shoes that day. Two days later, he came to Bible Study with his new shoes and his brother and sisters, they each asked Jesus into their hearts. Two days later, he brought his 9 cousins. Let me just say, because this one boy received shoes that day, he has now brought over 20 friends and family with him along with his mom and dad, whom we were able to 
give shoes at the Sole Train #2. I'd say that's a fire. We had our first Sole Train team a few weeks ago, I saw flames catching in that group, they have each gone back to their big deal jobs and have not stopped sharing their stories. It blew my mind that someone would love pur[SHOE]ing joy THAT MUCH. They are on fire. Are you lost yet? I want you to be overwhelmed just to show you JUST how BIG, VAST, DEEP, WIDE this fire is. Just wait, it gets BIGGER, MORE VAST, DEEPER, and WIDER…Three sweet girls I know will be here at the end of June, on fire and excited to play their unique and individual roles in God’s plan. These girls have followed me on my journey and have big desires to GO and DO LIKEWISE. The point here isn’t me or how many people I have gotten to Guatemala, it's Jesus, y’all. All Him. A fire that starts with Him can never die. I cannot say that enough. Katie, Phoebe and Hyatt- I cannot wait to watch y’alls fire go wild in your hearts and the world around you. Guatemala is ready for y’alls heat!

          Can I just make something clear, NONE of those things above would have happened if it weren't for Tanszy's "yes". Our roles are so precious, personalized, unique, well thought out. Only YOU can fill them. The important thing here is not numbers or the non-profits. The important thing here is the King of it all, where it all started, the spark, the one that gives us a daily reason to be bold, fearless and confident in our gifts that he chose for us. Find your “Paul” to encourage you. Find fans of your flame to fan your flame. Be bold. Be consistent in your time with the Lord. Say “yes”, not only will it change your life but it may cause someone else to say “yes” and change their life, too! I promise He will reveal your gifts and roles. Go out in boldness and use those gifts whether that is in your job, your neighborhood, your home, your church, or another country. Your gift was specifically designed for you, unlike any other created by the same God that created the universe. You have a role to play. Walk in it. Satan will pour buckets of water on the fire but he does not have enough water to tame a fire that started with the Lord. And just watch, His love through your role is going to catch flame and burn without ceasing throughout the world.
           Thank you for saying yes to Jesus, Mrs. Tanszy, for it changed my life. I wish I could retrace the map of this fire but I know without a doubt it began with no ordinary man named Jesus and THAT is enough.

Catch flame and go wild, world.
-SA

(Naturally, my latest jams fit just perfect and I am just not realizing it: “Start a Fire” by Unspoken, “Set a Fire” by Will Reagan and United Pursuit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment