Monday, September 23, 2013

Buckle up. Hands up.


It is safe to say that this journey thus far could qualify as a roller coaster at Six Flags over Georgia. I have been anxious and screaming on the inside and out for months, with hands up praising my King on the big hills and tempted to bring them down at times. To avoid you getting nauseous, I will do my best to explain the tracks behind me. Mama and Daddy deserve the credit for instilling in me a desire to know Christ, FBC McDonough the credit for your generosity in supporting this mission and my family and friends for loving me, putting up with me, and pushing me off this cliff. Oh and the man who built this roller coaster and thinks I am cool enough to ride it with Him, that is my Savior. What a man! 

After some time spent in South Africa working in a township, I was left with a feeling I could not contain. "To whom much is given, much is expected" comes from Luke 12:28. I don't know about you, but this piece of that verse fires me up. As American's, we have been given too much, so you know what that means… much is expected. Starting with a prayer asking the Lord to break me, mold me and make me, He has done that and more. It has been the hardest, yet the best journey thus far. The Lord started breaking me in Africa and continued throughout my junior year at Ole Miss. By this I mean, He began breaking my heart for what was breaking His. Senior year came around where He began molding me regardless of my insecurities about post-grad life. He was constantly pointing me in the right direction and making His desires, my desires.

Just God being God and using other people for His glory, a family that I half belong to, The Bailey's came to me last December with an opportunity to spend a week in Guatemala doing mission work. After wrestling with the idea and senior talked-up spring break plans falling through, I found myself in Guatemala for a week in March. What a Potter He proved to be that trip. He considered my dreams of one day being a nurse, as well as my Ole Miss Nutrition and Dietetics degree and began showing me a glimpse of what had been planned way before I was born. He began to make me. Making me bold, fearless, unbreakable, determined and joyful. The reality was, the Lord was calling me to Guatemala and was expecting much. By much I mean, He wanted ALL of me. However, no matter how much I argued, the two approvals and opinions that I wanted to much were not having it. At my college graduation in May, my parents made it clear to myself and my friends that I would not being going to Guatemala. They said "NO, we want you to start looking at other options." Y'all I swear I thought I was stuck upside down on this roller coaster but my hands would not go down. I refused to give up yet still honor them.

It was time for summer where I got to experience a man named Satan more than ever before. I had to finish my last 8 hours to get my diploma with the class I had been dreading most, Anatomy and Physiology I and II while still not really knowing if Ed and Al were gunna hop on my roller coaster to Guatemala. Boy, do I now know, he really does come to steal, kill and destroy as he tried to daily this summer. Y'all I cried every day. EVERY DAY. Ask my friends. He used my discouraging teacher, a boy, a dog sitting experience, failed test grades despite hard work, and my parents reasons why I shouldn't go to Guatemala as ways to attack. Good news is, Satan wasn't good enough. He never is. I cried, I prayed, I questioned, and I nearly lost faith but continued to praise when I got a hesitant "YES" on July 4th. My heart was not the only one that the Lord was breaking, molding and making. What was once hesitant has recently become a "Yes, we get it. You need to go where you are called and no where else. We just love you and care about your safety." Again I say, "what a Potter He is". 

My year long journey in Antigua, Guatemala began TODAY as a volunteer at Hermano Pedro's Hospital and joining a group of missionary medical workers that bring teams into various villages with the ability and resources to provide spiritual and physical help to the locals.

Friends, I failed. Over and over again. The Mechanic continually came to fix all issues and let me know I was on track and checked every time to see if I was buckled in with hands up enjoying the ride to the fullest. He NEVER failed. Never, y'all. My prayer is that you notice your Savior in this, not myself. Because of our Mechanic, we are FIXABLE! I firmly believe as Christians, we are called to be one of three people: the person that GOES, the person that SENDS, or the person that PRAYS. He clearly has me as the "GOER" right now. As an individual, you are one of the three. Go be it! Let Him break you, mold you and make you! There is no better place to be than in the hands of The Potter.

Be JOYaus today,
-Shel

4 comments:

  1. To whom much has been given ...

    YES.

    Matthew 28, girlfran. I LOVE YOU! Keep bloggin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for listening, obeying, and GOING, pressing on to follow the path God has not only set before you, but made so clear. My prayers follow you on your mission for HIM and HIS glory.
    Praying and Sending,
    Cat (from FBC)

    ReplyDelete